Weird mutt problem.

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Sun Oct 10 07:49:13 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 05:40:49PM +1000, Luke Yelavich wrote:

> I seem to be having a slight problem with mutt, and mailboxes that have
> already been checked, and alterations made. For example, I receive mail
> in my inbox, which gets read, and deleted if necessary. I then use the c
> command to change folders to the next mailbox with new mail. I continue
> through a varying number of mailboxes, and for some reason find myself
> back in my inbox again, even though changes have been made to the file.
> If I press c and enter again, I find myself in the last modified
> mailbox, even though it also has had modifications made to the file. To
> stop this, I have to manually touch my mailboxes to update modification
> info.
>
> This has happened only since running my laptop on battery. I am running

When running on battery, your filesystems are remounted with the "noatime"
option.  This is because, without this option, every file data access (even
a read) triggers a write (and thus eventually causes the disk to spin up) in
order to update the access time of the file.

I stumbled upon the effect in mutt as well, and I was confused for a minute,
even though I knew this was happening. :-)

I have a feeling that perhaps this behaviour is not quite as useful when
we're already using laptop-mode in the kernel when on battery.  Thom?

--
 - mdz