mount: /dev/sr0 is not a valid block device

Jan Kokoska kokoskaj at seznam.cz
Sat Oct 9 19:58:31 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 20:53 +0200, Wim Vriend wrote:
> Hello,
> Having a problem with my USB cdwriter
> mount: /dev/sr0 is not a valid block device
> I have tried "pmount /dev/sr0" as user and root
>
> wim at ubuntu ~ $ pmount /dev/sr0
> mount: /dev/sr0 is not a valid block device
> wim at ubuntu ~ $
>
> I have changed the line "/dev/scd0" to "/dev/sr0" in /etc/fstab
> I have put "sg" in /etc/modules
>
> When I take a look in my media directory, I can see
> cdrom, cdrom0 and cdrom1.
> When I open disks from the menu, then I see
> Floppy, cdrom1 and cdrom2.
>
> Is here something mixed up ??

ls -al /dev/cdrom*

This will tell you where these symbolic links point. You can grep your
dmesg for the result, as in "dmesg | grep sr0" to see which one it is
(if there is a symbolic link then something has detected it).

Untimately, dmesg tells you what was detected and you should be able to
mount it afterwards.

And they say you shouldn't edit /etc/fstab for removable media as it is
"not robust enough". This assumes gnome-volume-manager being able to
handle it better.

Regards,
Jan