gamma correction in Ubuntu?

Martin Maney ubuntu at two14.net
Sat Oct 9 19:57:45 UTC 2004

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 01:31:57AM -0400, Aroon Pahwa wrote:
> thanks a bunch!  xgamma is in Ubuntu, however, it doesnt really do
> anything.  I change the gamma and the output seems to reflect my
> changes, however there is no actual change in gamma.

xgamma itself only sets some controls in the X window system; it's up
to the device driver in the server what to do about those settings.  As
I understand it, in the current version the controls only take effect
when the video hardware directly supports gamma correction, so if the
hardware support is lacking, turning the knob will have no effect
(other than the reported setting of the knob).

> i tried restarting X but everything just reverted back to the default
> gamma settings.

I think you said later that you found a way to get the gamma setting to
be as you wished after restart - was that anything other than setting
up the execution of "xgamma -gamma my_gamma_value" on every restart?
That's how I've handled this in the past.

--
The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away,
for expedients, and by parts.  -- Edmund Burke