Problems with Caps Lock and Num Lock

Nitebirdz nitebirdz at sacredchaos.com
Sat Oct 9 00:09:14 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've been experiencing a minor annoyance ever since I installed Ubuntu
on my system last Friday.  During the installation, I don't remember
answering any questions to set up the keyboard layout although I do
remember answering a question about the default language to be used for
the system configuration (I assumed this is used to configure the
keyboard too).  In any case, I logged into the system after it rebooted
and everything appeared to be OK until I tried to use the Num Lock key.
At that point, the system stopped responding to the keyboard altogether.
I could still use the mouse, but no keystroke whatsoever was recorded.
Not even the Ctrl+Alt+Backspace combination would work.  Logging out and
logging back in wouldn't help either.  The only solution at that point
appears to be to reboot the machine, sadly enough.  Later on, I also
realized the Caps Lock key also triggers the very same problem.

So, I decided to take a look at the Keyboard configuration in Gnome, and
noticed that it was set to 104-key keyboard when mine is a 101-key
keyboard.  I changed that, and still didn't appear to solve the problem.
After going into the "Layout Options" tab in Gnome's Keyboard
configuration applet and adding "Num_Lock LED shows alternative group"
now that key does work.  However, also adding "Acts as Shift with
locking. Shift cancels Caps" for the Caps_Lock key doesn't appear to
help, and the system still becomes unresponsive to the keyboard as soon
as I hit the Caps Lock key.

So, I have to questions regarding this issue:

o Does anybody know how to solve my problem with the Caps Lock key?

o Is all this considered a bug in the installer?  I had no problem when
  installing Fedora Core or Debian Sid (using a recent netinst image) on
  this very same system.  I searched the Ubuntu website for known bugs
  affecting the keyboard and didn't come across anything.

Finally, sorry for the long message but I figure the more information
one gives about the problem the better I can get the message through.
Thanks for an excellent product, by the way.  I'm amazed at Ubuntu
Linux.