How to format removable media?

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Fri Oct 8 20:36:39 UTC 2004

I can see how to format a floppy disk (use the "Applications->System
Tools->Floppy Formatter" program).  But how do you format other removable media
like Jaz and Zip disks without resorting to the command line?

Shouldn't the formatting be consistent across media; how about right-click on
the drive and get a menu choice called "Format..." which will prompt you for
the appropriate information?

I'm guessing that this might be a GNOME or Nautilus issue, in which case if
someone could direct me to the proper place to ask this, I'd be happy to post
my question there.

Thanks.