nvidia AMD64 howto - worked for me - correction (apologies)!

Patrick Cherry patch-ubuntu at dominoid.net
Fri Oct 8 15:48:06 UTC 2004

Hi,

Perhaps a more ubuntu-ised version might have the following changes:

On Thu 07 Oct 2004, Leon Vismer wrote:

> 1. Download the NVIDIA package
> $ wget
> http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/1.0-6111/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-6111-pkg2.run
>
> 2. Made sure I had the latest kernel image and kernel headers
> $ sudo update
> -- still the same as of 2004/10/07
  $ sudo apt-get install linux-image-amd64-generic
  $ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-amd64-generic
or if you have a K8 motherboard
  $ sudo apt-get install linux-image-amd64-k8
  $ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-amd64-k8

This way it will install the latest version.  Though care needs when
updating the kernel (the nVidia drivers will need reinstallation), so
maybe Leon's method of selecting the kernel required would be fine.

> 3. Rebooted my machine for new kernel to take effect
>
> 4. At the GDM login screen I got to a console (One cannot install the
> driver while X is running) by pressing
> CTRL-ALT-F1
> -- you should be at a prompt now, login using your user details and

 $ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

Would be the more traditional way :)

> 5.1 Run the NVIDIA application from step one
> $ sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-6111-pkg2.run
> -- Go through the menu options, saying yes to install and accept the
> license, said no to try and download stuff from nvidia as kernel module
> did not exists. The setup program picked up I had the correct headers
> for the kernel and built the driver. It then proceeds to try and install
> the linked modules in /usr/lib64 however it fails with some messages. Do
> not abort here and just continue through the messages, and continue not
> to abort the process. At the end you should have a completed message
> coming back.
> -- To check one should have
> /lib/modules/<kernel version>/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
>
> 5.2 Run the attached script as supplied by someone on the list, many
> thanks for this. It will create/symlink the dynamic modules.
> $ sudo sh ./nvidia.sh
>
> 6. Add nvidia to /etc/modules
> $ sudo gedit /etc/modules
> -- move to the bottom of the file and add nvidia
>
> 7. Update the X config file
> $ sudo gedit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

  $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

7.1 select the nvidia module (instead of the nv module) on the first
page
7.2 ensure that the "dri" and "GLcore" modules are not selected in the
"select modules" screen, and that the "glx" module is selected.

> 8. Reboot the machine and hope for the best ;-)

Patrick