nvidia AMD64 howto - worked for me

felix dark_paw at optusnet.com.au
Fri Oct 8 01:40:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 19:30 +0200, Leon Vismer wrote:
> Hi
>
> I though I would document how I installed the nvidia driver for an AMD64
> single processor.
>
> 1. Download the NVIDIA package
> $ wget
> http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/1.0-6111/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-6111-pkg2.run
>
> 2. Made sure I had the latest kernel image and kernel headers
> $ sudo update
> -- still the same as of 2004/10/07
> $ sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.8.1-3-amd64-generic
> $ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.8.1-3-amd64-generic
> $ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.8.1-3
>
> 3. Rebooted my machine for new kernel to take effect
>
> 4. At the GDM login screen I got to a console (One cannot install the
> driver while X is running) by pressing
> CTRL-ALT-F1
> -- you should be at a prompt now, login using your user details and
> $ sudo killall gdm
>
> 5. Run the NVIDIA application from step one
> $ sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-6111-pkg2.run
> -- Go through the menu options, saying yes to install and accept the
> license, said no to try and download stuff from nvidia as kernel module
> did not exists. The setup program picked up I had the correct headers
> for the kernel and built the driver. It then proceeds to try and install
> the linked modules in /usr/lib64 however it fails with some messages. Do
> not abort here and just continue through the messages, and continue not
> to abort the process. At the end you should have a completed message
> coming back.
> -- To check one should have
> /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-3-amd64-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
>

> 6. Add nvidia to /etc/modules
> $ sudo gedit /etc/modules
> -- move to the bottom of the file and add nvidia
>
> 7. Update the X config file
> $ sudo gedit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
> -- In the Section "Module" part of the file make sure you comment out
> (#)
> Load "dri"
> Load "GLcore"
> -- and make sure that
> Load "glx"
> -- is in this section
>
> -- Then change the graphics device in the relevant section
> -- It would most probably be
> Driver "nv"
> -- which should changed to
> Driver "nvidia"
>
> 8. Reboot the machine and hope for the best ;-)

9. The errors in step 5 are due to the installer putting the 32 bit GLX
libs in /usr/lib, but on Ubuntu they should be in /usr/lib32. The
attached script will unpack the installer and rearrange things such that
accelerated OpenGL should work.

Put the script in the same directory as the nvidia installer and:

$ sudo nvfix

If apt ever happens to update X, it may overwrite the nvidia libs with
the Mesa software GL ones. Running the script again will fix that.

Felix