Shutdown hangs at: "ACPI_power_off_called".

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Thu Oct 7 21:13:23 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 02:06:02PM -0700, Darren Critchley wrote:

> acpi=force worked great for me when inserted in the above manner, it
> even got the batter icon working properly for my laptop.
>
> Now the million dollar question, how do I make the change permanent, I
> do not want to have to edit grub every time I boot.
> I cannot seem to find a grub.conf either, where is it located?

1. Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst (e.g., sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst)
2. Find the line which looks like:

# kopt root=/dev/hda1 ro

3. Add your parameters to the end of the line
4. Run sudo update-grub
5. Reboot

Would you kindly write up a short Howto for this, and also for setting the
parameters from the boot-time grub menu, in the wiki?  It would be a great
help to have something to point users to when we ask them to try out
parameters.

--
 - mdz