How can I manually select and download packages using a web browser?

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 18:31:39 UTC 2004

Hi,

The reason for wanting to do this rather than use apt-get or Synaptics is
that my Ubuntu system was installed from Sounder test 9, which did not
include the wvdial package.

As I don't have that package, I can't set up and use ppp to dial in from
that machine.  This means I'll have to use my laptop, either running
Windows 98 or Suse 9 to collect the package and then transfer it by floppy
or CD to the target machine.

The Debian support system led me quite easily to the Debian versions of the
package and its dependencies, but I'd rather not install these if I can get
the Ubuntu ones.

I can find the Ubuntu archives in their raw form, but don't know how to
locate and download just the package that I want without using
synaptics..  I'm stuck with dialup for the moment, so it isn't practicable
to download (for example) the current daily build, which does contain wvdial.

Neil

PS  Alternative methods of getting the target machine online without wvdial
might also be woth a punt, but I don't know them...

PPS   Can I install Synaptics or equivalent under Suse and use it to access
the Ubuntu archives?  <== May have answered my own question here!