nvidia AMD64 howto - worked for me

Leon Vismer leonv at picturenet.co.za
Thu Oct 7 17:30:51 UTC 2004

Hi

I though I would document how I installed the nvidia driver for an AMD64
single processor.

1. Download the NVIDIA package
$ wget
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/1.0-6111/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-6111-pkg2.run

2. Made sure I had the latest kernel image and kernel headers
$ sudo update
-- still the same as of 2004/10/07
$ sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.8.1-3-amd64-generic
$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.8.1-3-amd64-generic
$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.8.1-3

3. Rebooted my machine for new kernel to take effect

4. At the GDM login screen I got to a console (One cannot install the
driver while X is running) by pressing
CTRL-ALT-F1
-- you should be at a prompt now, login using your user details and
$ sudo killall gdm

5. Run the NVIDIA application from step one
$ sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-6111-pkg2.run
-- Go through the menu options, saying yes to install and accept the
license, said no to try and download stuff from nvidia as kernel module
did not exists. The setup program picked up I had the correct headers
for the kernel and built the driver. It then proceeds to try and install
the linked modules in /usr/lib64 however it fails with some messages. Do
not abort here and just continue through the messages, and continue not
to abort the process. At the end you should have a completed message
coming back.
-- To check one should have
/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-3-amd64-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko

6. Add nvidia to /etc/modules
$ sudo gedit /etc/modules
-- move to the bottom of the file and add nvidia

7. Update the X config file
$ sudo gedit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
-- In the Section "Module" part of the file make sure you comment out
(#)
Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"
-- and make sure that
Load "glx"
-- is in this section

-- Then change the graphics device in the relevant section
-- It would most probably be
Driver "nv"
-- which should changed to
Driver "nvidia"

8. Reboot the machine and hope for the best ;-)

--
Leon