Correct Way To Disable Loading A Module?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at canonical.com
Thu Oct 7 14:25:35 UTC 2004

Hi Bill!

bill g [2004-10-07  9:55 -0400]:
> > > .... but don't know
> > > how to avoid loading the other module.  It isn't listed in
> > > /etc/modules.
> >
> > Then hotplug loads it automatically. If you want to keep hotplug from
> > /etc/hotplug/blacklist.d/ (name does not matter, but take something
> > descriptive like 'nvidia') and put "foo" into it.
>
> I built a file called "agpgart" and put "agpgart" in it.  Rebooted,
> but the module still loaded. There's another file in that directory,
> alsa-base, that's executable, so I made my file executable.  However,
> after another reboot, lsmod shows agpgart is still loading.

Then it's pulled in as a dependency of a specialized agp module. Try

  lshal | grep agp

which should uncover another module which depends on agpgart (e. g.
nvidia-agp, depending on the type of hardware you have); you have to
blacklist this as well.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                       http://www.piware.de