mounting usb cdroms

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at canonical.com
Thu Oct 7 07:12:08 UTC 2004

Hi Aroon!

Aroon Pahwa [2004-10-07  0:12 -0400]:
> I've attached the output from each command in their own respective
> output files.

Hmm, that actually looks good. Can you please paste your /etc/fstab
here as well?

> Quick question,  what kind of changes would I notice when I add my
> cdrom drive?

- the CD-ROM is automatically mounted ('mount' will list it)

- the icon in Disks changes and the CD-ROM's label is shown

- the same new icon will appear on the Desktop

- a Nautilus window with the CD's content will pop up

All of these are the default settings, you can adapt them in Computer
-> Desktop Settings -> Removable devices.

> Should the CDRom disk icon always be visible in the 'disks' menu
> (because it is, regardless of whether or not the usb drive is
> connected or not)?

Yes, it just has different icons and titles.

> Whats the default /dev/ file the cdrom would be listed under?  C

/dev/sr0, I suppose.

If it does not mount automatically, can you please type the command

  pmount /dev/sr0

and see what happens?

Thanks,

Martin