.bash_profile not run when using graphical login

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Wed Oct 6 11:29:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 10:47:43PM -0500, Martin Maney wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 10:43:50AM +0800, John wrote:
> > Martin Maney wrote:
> > >The more I think about this, the more spurious it sounds.  The
> > >assumption is that you might not be able to login because some file -
> > >passwd, say - is corrupted.
>
> > On Debian, how do you get to single-user mode if root is disabled?
>
> Dunno, I've never disabled root.  Never really thought about it until I
> ran into it in Ubuntu.
>
> And what does that have to do with recovering from a failed fsck, when
> any of the pieces you need may be missing?  There are quite a lot of
> pieces between mounting the root ro and getting a shell prompt, only
> one of which is passwd - two, I suppose, with shadowing.

The only reason I used a failed fsck as an example was nothing to do
with actual filesystem corruption, and everything to do with fsck
dropping you into sulogin and thereby asking for the root password if
the root filesystem can't be automatically repaired.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]