pool.ntp.org

Adam D. Barratt lists+ubuntu-users at adam-barratt.org.uk
Wed Oct 6 11:00:46 UTC 2004

On Wednesday, October 06, 2004 11:38 AM, Markus Kolb
<ubuntu-ml at tower-net.de> wrote:

> On 06.10.2004 05:04, Rob Weir wrote:
[...]
>> When I boot offline, it fails very quickly; I think because I have no
>> available DNS servers so it just quickly fails to resolve.  If you
>> want to stop it from running at boot, run "rm /etc/rcS.d/S51ntpdate".
>
> The correct way would be
> $ sudo update-rc.d -f ntpdate remove

No, no, no, no, no. :-) Sorry, but this is a common misconception.

The above will work until the package is next upgraded, at which point the
symlinks will magically reappear when the maintainer scripts run
update-rc.d. The *correct* way is, as Rob said, to remove the symlinks.

update-rc.d is intended to be run by maintainer scripts, not by users.
Remove the symlink, and the next upgrade will respect the local change, run
`update-rc.d remove' and ntpdate will start running again after the upgrade.

Regards,

Adam