.bash_profile not run when using graphical login

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Wed Oct 6 02:04:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 08:52:57PM -0500, Martin Maney wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 12:26:13AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > That was deliberate, actually, since otherwise there's no way to recover
> > from e.g. fsck on your root filesystem failing. We were happy to do this
>
> Really?  That's odd, because I have, from time to time, had fsck fail,
> and it wasn't impossible to recover as you suggest it must be.

You would probably have had a root password set, and in that case
sulogin will ask you for it.

> The more I think about this, the more spurious it sounds.  The
> assumption is that you might not be able to login because some file -
> passwd, say - is corrupted.  But then why assume that fsck is sound?
> init's critical parts?  It seems like you're saving us from one or two
> failures out of dozens of similar ones that are equally likely.  Am I
> missing something?

The point is that if we hadn't made sulogin fail open, it would ask you
for a root password that doesn't exist, and refuse to proceed unless you
provide it.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]