Getting ATI 3d working! (I got mine going)

list list at notthemessiah.net
Wed Oct 6 03:18:01 UTC 2004

I finally figured out what I needed to do to get the ATI 3d working :)
**maybe someone could add this to the wiki (at least the fglrxconfig
part)**

I followed the current parts of the wiki
(http://wiki.ubuntulinux.org/BinaryDriverHowto).

Then I backed up my /etc/X11/XF86config-4:

dean at dim:~ $ sudo cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.old

Then I ran fglrxconfig (get it off synaptic) as su, and answered NO to the
'disable AGP locked user pages' question.

I also hadn't understood what the linux-restricted modules >= 2.6.8.1.1-1
were (to anyone else who doesn't know, you get them from the restricted
sources with synaptic--they should match your kernel).

After this I was able to install and play enemy territory (which is a free
multiplayer version of rtcw, I recommend you check it out)!

Good luck to everyone else :)

PS I'm using a Radeon 9500 pro, so anyone else using this card can be sure
that it's possible.