Opening files from symlinks

Andy ubuntu at arda.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 5 23:13:05 UTC 2004

Hi

Erik Bågfors wrote:
> So I just tried this
> 1) computer -> home
> 2) right click -> create document
> 3) name test.txt
> 4) middle-drag to desktop, select link
> 5) double click test.txt on desktop
> 6) edit and save,
>
> Works great!

In fact you are right - in most cases it does save correctly - I was
thrown by the fact that the "save as" box (if you choose save as rather
than save) shows the path to the symlink as though it was going to
replace the symlink with the file, rather than save it to it's original
location - works but IMHO is confusing. As you say, for (say) gedit if
you just hit "Save" it all works as it should.

HOWEVER it does not work (for me at least) with OpenOffice.org - I get a
message "Cannot create backup file" if I open an OpenOffice.org document
via a symlink and then hit "Save" after editing it.

Thanks

Andy