Install problems - stopped at base system

Parinya Thipchart thipchart at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 14:03:17 UTC 2004

Opps! Sorry to Colin Watson that I sent the same email to you directly.

(I did by clicking reply. I didn't check the destination user. I thought
it was the ubuntu user list but it was your email )

Colin Watson wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 12:33:40AM -0400, Parinya Thipchart wrote:
>

>> - While it was installing the base system I got the following error:
>> The debootstrap program exited with an error (return value 2).
>> Check /var/log/messages or see virtual console 3 for the details
>>
>> It was at 0%.
>> I checked VT3 and this is what it says:
>>
>> ======================================
>> eval: 3: Syntax error: newline unexpected (expecting ")")
>> ======================================
>>
>> With the debian installer, this doesn't happen to me.
>>

> If you switch to tty2 (Alt-F2), press Enter, and type 'cat
> /cdrom/.disk/base_components', what does it say?

It says:
cat : Read error: Input/output error

That's all it says.

> This feels like a DMA problem on the CD; the current daily should take
> care of that, if it is.

If that's the problem. I will try the current image then.

Thank you  for your help.
Parinya