emacs keybindings? alsaconf?

Scott Campbell scott.campbell at utoronto.ca
Mon Oct 4 23:40:42 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-10 at 14:01 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 01:47:20PM -0400, Scott Campbell wrote:
>
> > I'm just switching from fluxbox on Debian/Testing to Gnome 2.8 on Ubuntu
> > and can't find the setting to change from Gnome to Emacs keybindings.
> > The Help suggests it should be in Computer~Keyboard Shortcuts, but it's
> > not there. Is this a bug or disabled in Ubuntu or missing in Gnome 2.8?.
> > Can it be twiddled in System Tools~Configuration Editor?
>
> $ gconftool-2 -s -t string /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_key_theme Emacs

Thanks. Two follow-up questions then, which may or may not be best
directed here, rather than a gtk guru.

1) Is there any way to override things a bit better, that is, Ctrl-a
should be 'Goto beginning of line', rather than 'Select All'. I know
that the idea is to mimic other DE's and OS's, but my fingers are nicely
trained for emacs.

2) Was this option (to choose emacs bindings) deliberately removed from
the dialog with Ubuntu? Gnome2.8? Just curious. This seems like the kind
of simplicity on might expect from either.

> alsaconf should not be necessary, and has a tendency to break things, which
> is why it was removed.

Fair enough. It did the trick for me, but I can appreciate more
experienced views.

> Can you be more specific about your problem?  We would very much prefer to
> fix things so that they are detected correctly and set up automatically,
> than to have folks hack around problems with things like alsaconf.

Sure. Everything (lspci, HAL and lshw) all thinks it's a cs46xx card on
IRQ 9, but it definitely is a cs4236 on IRQ 5 (as it shows up under
windows, dos, and the previous debian install.) It has something to do
with how IBM shoehorned it into the system as an ISA card. Alsaconf
always did a neat job recognizing this and setting things up properly.

I'm not even sure where to try and change this on Ubuntu. The IRQ, DMA,
and so on used to be hardcoded in /etc/alsa/1.0/modules/alsa
or /etc/modules.d/alsa or something like that, but now I can't figure
out where to start looking. The alsa-base/FAQ mentions a snd_isapnp=0
parameter worth trying, but I don't even know where to put it.

> Hibernation/suspend is on the list for the next release (see HoaryHedgehog
> in the wiki).

I see it there. I'll look forward to it, and other goodies (X.org,
ifplugd...).

Thanks for the help.

scott.