.bash_profile not run when using graphical login

Andy ubuntu at arda.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 4 21:27:21 UTC 2004

Michael Brandtner wrote:
> Am Montag, den 04.10.2004, 17:07 +0100 schrieb Andy:
>

>>So I'd like to know if other people think it would be a good idea for
>>..bash_profile to be run if you log in graphically and then open a
>>terminal windows.
>

> How about /etc/env.d?
> Gentoo ist doing it this way and its nice.

<snip>

> It's a nice way and you have to change or add your environment-variables
> in exactly *one* place for everyone.

Nice system - but only appropriate for common environment variables,
surely? The point of ~/.bash_profile and ~/.bashrc is to set up a user's
_individual_ preferences. .bash_profile for the things that get done
once (i.e. for a login shell), and .bashrc for things that run for every
shell (to simplify somewhat). I like to be able to customise individual
user's shell accounts when needed, so I still think it would be a good
idea for .bash_profile to run for graphical logins.

Thanks

Andy