no mouse after install

Santiago Erquicia santiago_erquicia at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Oct 4 19:36:18 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 12:12 -0700, Thomas Gill wrote:

> >You just need to use sudo with your password.  If you want to become
> >root, use "sudo su" and again your password.
> >
> >I don't have a clue about the other things :(
> >

> >>Any responses, please bear in mind I have NO experience with Linux command line.  Original post described how I had no mouse function after installation, and had same problem with a Fedora install. Thanks.
> >>

> Well, I got as far as   'then look in nano'    with this. Haven't a clue
> what that means.
>
> Still looking for an answer to : what is the root password for the
> default Ubuntu installation. I was only prompted for User password. Does
> 'sudo su' plus my user password give me full root priviledge?
>
> BTW, I can boot up with mouse support into Knoppix v3.3. Why not Ubuntu?

The short answer is that there is no root password. By doing "sudo su"
and YOUR password, you become root

I don't know about what you had to do with nano.  I guess someone told
you to edit a file because nano is a text editor.  Given that you don't
have mouse support, they said to use nano that is console based.  I
don't know.  I would like to help you there, but I have never used nano
before.

The original response was:
You can try a ctrl+alt+<backspace>to get to command line and then try
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree then look in nano
-w /etc/X11/XF86Config ctrl o to save plus enter then ctrl x to exit It
should look somthing like this;
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
EndS

The steps they gave you were:

1. With ctrl+alt+backspace you are going to kill the graphical
environment so you can go to the console (old DOS like).  You need this
since you are going to reconfigure it.

2. In the console, run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree" and YOUR
password.  I guess that it is going to ask you some questions but,
again, I don't know.  I have never done that since I haven't had any
problem with this.

3. After doing 2, run in the console "nano
-w /etc/X11/XF86Config".  Look for the text that says Section
"InputDevice" and see if you have something like that.  If you don't,
change it.

4. You need to press CTRL+o to save the changes and CTRL+x to exit from
nano.

5. Try to reboot you computer.  You can do it by pressing CTRL+ALT+Del
like in the windows world ;).  If it doesn't work try to run "shutdown
-h now".  If you cannot run this last command because you don't have
privileges, run "sudo shutdown -h now" and then entre YOUR password.

I don't know how to solve your problem, I'm just trying to explain you
the instructions that someone else gave you.

Hope that helps.

Santiago