.bash_profile not run when using graphical login

Andy ubuntu at arda.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 4 16:07:06 UTC 2004

Forgot to send this to the list so I'm reproducing the whole of it here:

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> Am Montag, den 04.10.2004, 15:58 +0100 schrieb Andy:
>
>>Oliver Grawert wrote:
>>
>>>we just tried to sort this out in ubuntu-de
>>
>>Sorry - being thick here - what's ubuntu-de?
>
> no need to apologize :) its the german ubuntu list (de = deutsch)
>
>>If you mean you can set the path, yes. Actually setting the path is not
>>my real concern - I can get around that several ways. What I'm trying to
>>get at is in general do we think Ubuntu ought to run a user's
>>.bash_profile script if you log in via GDM. I think it should () as for
>>example Mandrake does) - otherwise you potentially get a different
>>environment when you log in via GDM to what you get when you log in
>>directly via a console.

So I'd like to know if other people think it would be a good idea for
.bash_profile to be run if you log in graphically and then open a
terminal windows.

> the prob is that the guy who  wanted to add his java installation to the
> path didnt manage to get it working. in debian there are at least 3
> places where you can set a path
> (/etc/bash_profile, /etc/profile, /etc/environment) and gdm seems not to
> read any of them, but the gdm.conf DefaultPath seems to work. would be
> interesting to know what mandrake did to gdm to get this working....

I'll _try_ to figure out how Mandrake does it - though Mandrake (being
somewhat KDE-centric) uses kdm not gdm by default. Still not too sure of
my way around all the startup scripts but I can put a few debug lines in
and try to figure it out if people agree with me

> ciao
> 	oli
> ps: your mail didn't go to the list :)

Sorry!