Graphical partition editor

Johan johansche at absamail.co.za
Mon Oct 4 13:42:32 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 08:39 +0100, Darren Wheatley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a dual boot system with one hard disk split between multiple ext3
> partitions for Ubuntu, and a block of free space.
>
> I've tried to use PartitionMagic 7.0 on WinXP Pro top create a FAT32
> partition in the free space so that I can share files with Ubuntu (don't
> trust the NTFS feature, and all other WinXP Pro partitions are NTFS) but PM
> throws a 108 error as says that the whole drive is bad (something about two
> values not being equal...)
>
> Is there a graphical tool in Ubuntu that I could use to create a FAT32
> partition in the free space? Does anyone have any ideas why PartitionMagic
> is throwing a wobbly?
>
> Thanks

**********************

WARNING : if PM suggest to fix your drive . DO NOT . you wil loose all
your data . been there . after so called fixed it. had to re-initialize
the whole drive with other software. PM was not able to do anything to
the drive afterwards.

What I would suggest . download systemrescuecd iso.
There is run_qtparted. Got to boot with fbxxxx your screen res. On boot
pres f2 for this instructions.

I feel reasonably sure that this will solve your problem. But of course
if you have never used this it needs some getting used to. Maybe if you
have an old drive you may try it first.

What I found importend was not to pick round numbers for partition size
rather use the %% tool on the right side and slide it to the almost
required size. You will see that the size will say 3000,14 MB and not
3000. What happens when you pick round figures then the heads does not
end on correct boundary.

Goodluck

--
Johan Sch