can't login after using k3bsetup

Stefan Kluth skluth at mppmu.mpg.de
Mon Oct 4 12:08:52 UTC 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Daniel Stone wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 12:31:02PM +0100, Benjamin Edwards wrote:
> > So changing the ownershop and group of .ICEauthority fixes things?
>
> Yes; it needs to be username:username 700 for security reasons.  If you
> run touch .ICEauthority as a user immediately before you run sudo
> k3bsetup, it should be OK.

Another fix is to enable the root account.  When this is done I can start
up k3bsetup from within k3b (as most users will do after they first start
k3b), give it the root password and let it go.  It works normally and
leaves .ICEauthority alone.

This might illuminate a wider issue with disabling the root account: it
actually breaks applications outside of ubuntu/main.  Now ubuntu
officially "doesn't care" as only ubuntu/main is promised to work.
However, installing ubuntu with a working root account while still only
advertising the "sudo" way for system administration in the documentation
might make ubuntu/main more compatible with the rest of the universe,
which sometimes expects a root account.  As a result there will be fewer
users stuck completely after having foolishly run k3b(setup), which might
be real showstopper for some.

Cheers, Stefan

---Stefan Kluth, PhD----------Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter-----------
-  MPI fuer Physik         -  phone:  +49 89 32354 468  -      OPAL&  -
-  Foehringer Ring 6       -  fax:    +49 89 32354 305  -      ATLAS  -
---D-80805 Munich, Germany----e-mail: skluth at mppmu.mpg.de--------------