problem with Lexmark z53 and cupsys-driver-gimpprint

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 03:23:57 UTC 2004

I'm slowly learning more about my problem with cupsys-driver-gimpprint
and getting a crash course on cups and dpkg install scripts in the
process.  Right now it appears that there are 2 problems in my Ubuntu
configuration:

a)  The dpkg post-install script for cupsys-driver-gimpprint
(/var/lib/dpkg/info/cupsys-driver-gimpprint.postinst) contains these 2
lines:

  # Restart CUPSys (to register new and updated PPDs)
     /etc/init.d/cupsys reload

 But it appears that "reload" for cupsys is not a valid option.  one
of "restart" or "force-reload" would work

b)  The error message when using /etc/init.d/cupsys with an invalid
option is totally misleading:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys reload
 * Usage: /etc/init.d/cupsd {start|stop|restart|force-reload}

This comes from the fact that the cupsys script contains the wrong
name in the "NAME" variable:
   NAME=cupsd

Obviously it should be "cupsys", and the error message become more clear.
(and explains why I could find  /etc/init.d/cupsd anywhere)

I think I should file a big report with b).  But what about a)?  since
it's part of universe, is it worth filling one as well in Ubuntu
bugzilla?

Daniel