ltmodem lucent winmodem driver

Bill Christiansen bill.christiansen at paradise.net.nz
Sun Oct 3 08:39:34 UTC 2004

Any tips on installing this type of driver in Ubuntu?
I used the driver from:
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/

After installing the kernel headers and gcc I compiled the ltmodem.ko
and ltserial.ko files and put them in a
directory /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-3-386/ltmodem and did a depmod -a.
The device node needs to be created with: mknod --mode=0640 /dev/ttyLT0
c 62 64 and a link to /dev/modem
the alias also need to be added
alias /dev/modem ltserial
alias char-major-62 ltserial
alias /dev/tts/LT0 ltserial

I did manage to get it working (after a bit of trouble) on my first
install of Ubuntu but that was before the latest kernel and I did a
re-install of Ubuntu from a daily build iso. Now when I try to modprobe
ltserial it causes everything to freeze with a hard lock up. Any tips on
the correct procedure for loading this type of module would be
appreciated.

Bill