[ubuntu] Re: No Music Sound

Mark Kirven m.kirven at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 02:19:08 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 17:43:13 -0700, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 01:53:13PM -0400, Gary R. James wrote:
>
> > I unmuted everything and now it works. Thanks for the help.
> > I have no idea what was muted that it did not like, but
> > either way it now makes music.
>
> This should not be necessary.  By default, any channels named  "PCM",
> "Synth", "Master", "CD", or "Headphone" are unmuted.  Did you need to unmute
> additional channels to get things working?  Were the ones listed above
> muted?
>
> Please send the output of the "amixer" command.
>
> --
>  - mdz

On my system I had to uncheck the mute option for CD under the "Alsar
Mixer" tab in the volume controls to have sound with the CD player.
Before unchecking it I had sound everywhere else even when playing a
CD using totem(just checking things out). I have reinstalled Ubuntu
about 3 times in the last week(no problems with Ubuntu just me like to
play aroung and mess stuff up and then start fresh) and I have had the
same settings with the CD volume everytime.

By the way I want to say thanks to the Ubuntu team for such a great distro.