GRUB stops at a command line during stage 2 install reboot

Bob D. bob_beyng553 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 3 01:34:51 UTC 2004

Just installed Ubuntu after removing FC2 from my dual boot main box. I
was concerned the existing GRUB from FC2 might be an problem, but a
response to an earlier post of mine on this issue seemed to think it
wasn't.

Ubuntu install seemed to go fine until the reboot for stage 2. The
system stops at a grub> prompt. I can press TAB and am given a bunch of
commands. Being new, I haven't a clue what to select. Can't get to XP
Pro or Ubuntu.

Ubuntu's GRUB was installed into the MBR (like FC2). I had resized the
XP Pro partition to ~10GB (with Partition Magic) prior to installing
Ubuntu. The XP Pro partition was about 7.5GB before. I don't think this
is the issue with GRUB being installed beyond the 1,024 cylinder region,
but maybe it is.

Anyway, any guidance on how I need to configure GRUB at this point is
appreciated. I tried several of the commands that TAB brought up, but
nothing worked. I looked at GRUB's Help but it is a tad cryptic (for
me).

Bob