Documentation email list?

Martin Maney ubuntu at two14.net
Fri Oct 1 18:27:59 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 02:24:47PM +0100, Benjamin Edwards wrote:
> I totaly agree.  I would say there may be a few templates/giudelines
> (with a lot of overlap) depending on wether in it a nrwbie doc, a
> technical doc etc.

Computer systems do require multiple levels of description, from the
low-down, bare details of a manpage, through the broader but still
technical overview of subsystems, to the most hand-holding user level
docs that intentionally omit 90% of the power a program has in order to
present the 10% that gets 90% of the use clearly.  And I skipped a
couple levels there, even aside from internals docs.  :-)

                                 * * *

Thinking about docs and the wiki, I stopped by the hardware page last
evening, and it looks to me to already be ripe for fissioning.  Laptops
are one in-your-face'ly obvious section that needs to spawn; it might
not be too soon for DellLaptops to spawn off of that (or maybe I just
noticed them more than other brands because my own portable difficulty
is of the Dell persuasion).

I thought for a moment about just doing it, but it was late, and I'd
done more than enough refactoring already for one day (not on the
Ubuntu wiki).

--
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea,
never regains its original dimensions.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes