Minimal server install [Was: Processor optimisation]

Eric SCHAEFFER eschaeffer at emahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 14:10:31 UTC 2004

Le vendredi 01 octobre 2004 à 23:25 +1000, Jeff Waugh a écrit :
> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 22:47 +1000, David wrote:
> > > I ask this because I need to install again my server, and want to use
> > > Ubuntu because of the easy install and the support for recent packages.
> > > But I don't want to have X and Gnome installed on it...
> >
> > apt-get remove xserver-xfree86

I know I can uninstall all X related programs. I've already done that in
the past (even if it's a bit laborious to check all if you really want a
clean install, and "purge" doesn't always succeed in removing
configuration files ;)
I meant an Ubuntu install without X and Gnome.
It would be great to have all the install, auto-configuration, and all
stuff, but just without X, for a server.
Just an option during install...

> Boot the installer with 'custom'. This will install just the base
> packages, leaving you to the luxuries of aptitude/apt-get for the
> rest. :-)

Thank's, that's what I was looking for (I didn't see it).
I will test this.

Eric