xorg-X11

Thomas Beckett Thomas.Beckett at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 14:07:09 UTC 2004

http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/03/msg03460.html

There you go - explains it quite well i think. Basically the X.or
forked from XFree86 at version 4.3. This was in the works for a while
now as the development of XFree86 had pretty  much stalled and was not
very open. The licence change of Xfree86 was simply a kickstart for
the big Linux players joined to make the X.org fork and are now
developing it with a much more open and comunity focus which will lead
to may different improvements (such as the XDamage, cairo etc).
The advantages of using x.org is minimal at the moment as gnome or kde
cannot take advantae of most of teh new extentions, this will change
over the next erleases though so some very new and exciting changes
will start to happen. Whereas XFree86 will remain pretty much as it
is.

Tom