Advantages of 'sudo' Over 'su'?

Jorge Luis Vivas jlvivas at intercable.net.ve
Fri Oct 1 13:49:11 UTC 2004

Brett Kirksey wrote:

> I've been curious about this since I run OS X as well. What are
> the advantages of disabling the root account and adding a user
> or group to sudoers with root priveleges? Can a user given the
> same priveleges as root in sudoers do everything that root can?
> If so, why bother disabling root? The sudoer could just type
> sudo su and get the same result as su if root wre enabled?
>
> Just curious,
> Brett

Each of these has (like everything) advantages and dis-advantages.

To name one...

- Using sudo is a "one per command" thing, so yo can be sloppy enough to
leave your console alone...but please don´t do that.

- On the other hand a user in the sudoers file with a simple password
like love,god,l1nuX, could be a very dangerous security issue.

I think is up to you as your Ubuntu box administrator and the use of it
(or any Linux Distro) to decide to su or to sudo...I use su in ubuntu,
but I only have 2 users besides root..my girlfriend´s and mine, and my
PC is just for home use. A server is a whole different thing with a lot
more to consider.