Install choking after country selection

Lee Holmes lee at adastra.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 11:38:56 UTC 2004

Hi there - I'm having a few issues installing Ubuntu. I actually tried
installing the daily from Monday (27th) but had this problem, and it was
recommended to me that I try the 'sounder-test 9' install
(http://cdimage.ubuntulinux.org/sounder-test/9/) and post here if I was
still having problems. I checked the md5, burned the disc and ran into
the exact same problem.

Basically what happens is the installer kicks in, I choose English as my
language, then I choose the UK as my country (same thing happens with
USA incidentally) and the next menu screen never shows up. I've waited 4
or 5 minutes with no sign of activity. All I get is the blue screen,
with a white line along the bottom and a black cursor (which also
appears momentarily between menu screens). I can type with the cursor so
it doesn't seem as though curses has actually hung or anything.
Ctrl+Cing gives me some graphical corruption, and eventually
segmentation faults if I keep at it.

I wanted to get some more information to pass onto you, so I opened
another console and checked the syslog and dmesg but nothing really
jumped out at me. I tried to mount one of my partitions to dump a copy
of each over there, but a quick look in /dev showed no signs of any
available media - no /dev/floppy, no /dev/hdanything, not even a cdrom
which I thought was strange for a CD-based install. I don't know if any
of this is important.

If anyone can help me out here I'd appreciate it - just tell me what you
need to know and I'll try and get the information for you. Ubuntu sounds
like a great distro and I'd really like to try it out, I currently use
Gentoo but compiling everything on a 700Mz machine requires more
patience than I possess to be honest :)