Processor optimisation (Re: Ubuntu & Debian packages)

Eric SCHAEFFER eschaeffer at emahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 07:57:58 UTC 2004

Le jeudi 30 septembre 2004 à 13:05 -0700, Matt Zimmerman a écrit :
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 10:26:52PM +0300, Riku Nurkka wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 04:05, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

[...]

> Certainly not; it's true that we have directed a great deal of attention
> toward getting the desktop right, but Ubuntu is intended to be a solid
> server platform as well.  I run it on my own servers, as does Canonical.

As Ubuntu is based on Debian with some "minor" modification (but very
good "minor" modifications, don't misunderstand my words ;), it is
effectively a solid server platform.
But the install don't give you the choice to install or not the
graphical environment, no ? (maybe in expert mode, I didn't tried
thought)
I ask this because I need to install again my server, and want to use
Ubuntu because of the easy install and the support for recent packages.
But I don't want to have X and Gnome installed on it...

Eric.

[...]