Super-slow response, not quite dead

Tim Rutherford RutherfordT at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 03:24:07 UTC 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:45:34 -0700, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 11:37:44PM -0400, Tim Rutherford wrote:
>
> > Tried a reboot, to see if this was a problem on first start only.
> > Checked timing as follows (I need to get a life!)
> > 22 minutes with just the tan-Human ubuntu splash-mat showing and then
> > very suddenly it moved through the various icons across the bottom to
> > the gray screen w/ ubuntu
> > +2 minutes and the "show desktop" icon in lower-left pops in; within
> > seconds upper-left and lower-right icons are also on the
> > menubar/taskbar
> > +1 minute and the clock shows up
> >
> > 25 minutes after boot and I still have a long wait to get action from
> > the menu selection.
>
> Very strange.  Is there any hard disk activity while it is in this state?
> Is it slow during the entire boot process, when the login screen comes up,
> or only after you login?
>
> --
>  - mdz

No significant amount of HD activity, mostly the disk light is dark.
It seems normal speed during the two logon screens (name, password)
and then very slow after that. I've had it running for about 30 min.
now and it seems to have 'improved' to about half normal speed.

In that Other OS I would run Task Manager to see what's eating CPU
cycles. Is there anything similar in a Real OS like ubuntu? <g>

I did try Oliver's suggestion of cat /proc/cpuinfo. It shows 2.6GHz,
my real clock speed.

I've searched Synaptic for linux-686-smp but that entry's not in the
list. I believe that will enable my full 1GB of RAM also. Looking at
the menu in Synaptic I came across Repositories, but of course ... I'm
still not able to see the net.

Let's see, can't see my Windows drives on the same spindle, can't save
to floppy or to my USB drive, can't see the net. Why do I still think
ubuntu is going to be the One? I do have hopes.

Cheers,