/usr/bin/firefox: printing japanese text causes the resulting PostScript to use a bogus gsfont.

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Sun Nov 28 06:20:25 UTC 2004

Package: mozilla-firefox
Version: 0.99+1.0PR.1+revertedto0.9.3-0ubuntu3
Severity: normal
File: /usr/bin/firefox

When visiting http://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/jrkabe/index2.html I can view
the text just fine.  I get all of the kanji and katakana and such, with
nice truetype subpixel smoothing and all that.

But when I print the page, it comes out as nothing but boxes for all the
characters, including the roman ones.  When I print to a mozilla.ps and
view in ggv or ghostscript, the same thing happens.

When viewing in gs, I see the following errors:

	Can't find (or can't open) font file /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/Ryumin-Light-EUC-H.
	Can't find (or can't open) font file Ryumin-Light-EUC-H.
	Substituting font Courier for Ryumin-Light-EUC-H.

Looking in the PostScript itself, I see:

	/Unicode2NativeDictja 0 dict def
	/ja_ls {
	  /NativeFont /Ryumin-Light-EUC-H def
	  /UCS2Font /Courier def
	  /Unicode2NativeDict Unicode2NativeDictja def
	  /unicodeshow1 { real_unicodeshow } bind def
	  /unicodeshow2 { real_unicodeshow_native } bind def
	} bind def

...right at the end of the Prologue.  There doesn't seem to be a package
in Ubuntu that provides this font.  I tried making directories and
symlinks so that ghostscript could find it, but that didn't work.

	$ grep -ri Ryumin /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/
	/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/res/sample.unixpsfonts.properties:print.postscript.nativefont.ja=Ryumin-Light-EUC-H
	Binary file /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/components/libgfxps.so matches

I even tried changing print.postscript.nativefont.ja to kochi mincho or
watanabe gothic, but that didn't seem to work.

I'm using an HP LaserJet 1200N, with CUPS set to connect to it LPD and
with the hpijs driver (though I've also tried the full gamut of drivers
via JetDirect).

It seems that this could also potentially be styled a ghostscript
problem; and since it's present in epiphany as well, it could be a base
mozilla problem.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Kernel: Linux 2.6.8.1-3-686
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8

Versions of packages mozilla-firefox depends on:
ii  debianutils     2.8.3                    Miscellaneous utilities specific t
ii  fontconfig      2.2.2-2ubuntu3           generic font configuration library
ii  libatk1.0-0     1.8.0-1ubuntu2           The ATK accessibility toolkit
ii  libbonobo2-0    2.8.0-0ubuntu2           Bonobo CORBA interfaces library
ii  libc6           2.3.2.ds1-13ubuntu2.2    GNU C Library: Shared libraries an
ii  libfontconfig1  2.2.2-2ubuntu3           generic font configuration library
ii  libfreetype6    2.1.7-2.1ubuntu1         FreeType 2 font engine, shared lib
ii  libgcc1         1:3.4.2-2ubuntu1         GCC support library
ii  libglib2.0-0    2.4.7-0ubuntu2           The GLib library of C routines
ii  libgnomevfs2-0  2.8.2-0ubuntu1           The GNOME virtual file-system libr
ii  libgtk2.0-0     2.4.10-1ubuntu1          The GTK+ graphical user interface
ii  libidl0         0.8.4-0ubuntu1           library for parsing CORBA IDL file
ii  libjpeg62       6b-9                     The Independent JPEG Group's JPEG
ii  liborbit2       1:2.12.0-0ubuntu1        libraries for ORBit2 - a CORBA ORB
ii  libpango1.0-0   1.6.0b-0ubuntu1          Layout and rendering of internatio
ii  libpng12-0      1.2.5.0-7ubuntu1         PNG library - runtime
ii  libstdc++5      1:3.3.4-9ubuntu5         The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
ii  libx11-6        4.3.0.dfsg.1-6ubuntu25.1 X Window System protocol client li
ii  libxft2         2.1.2-6                  FreeType-based font drawing librar
ii  libxrender1     0.8.3-7                  X Rendering Extension client libra
ii  libxt6          4.3.0.dfsg.1-6ubuntu25.1 X Toolkit Intrinsics
ii  psmisc          21.5-1                   Utilities that use the proc filesy
ii  ubuntu-artwork  0.2.14-1                 Ubuntu themes and artwork
ii  xlibs           4.3.0.dfsg.1-6ubuntu25.1 X Window System client libraries m
ii  zlib1g          1:1.2.1.1-3ubuntu1       compression library - runtime

-- no debconf information