Configuration file choices during upgrades

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 18:56:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 07:31 +1300, Bill Christiansen wrote:
> I notice that when installing certain updates you get prompted as to
> whether you want to keep your existing version of a configuration file
> or install the package maintainers version. Is there any recommended
> action here and is choosing the default action likely to stop anything
> from working? (Sorry I didn't write down which packages were involved).

Basically I think if the program was working before you updated, I'd be
inclined to keep the existing version of the configuration file.  If
there had been problems I'd take the maintainer's version as being
likely to set sensible defaults to start from.

It would depend quite a lot on what might be in the configuration files;
a web browser or email client might store lots of fiddly addresses and
numbers that you really wouldn't want to have to reconfigure - other
applications might just be storing something like a default window
postion on opening, so not a big deal.

Neil