Installing DEBS

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Tue Nov 30 07:27:18 UTC 2004

Ken Adams wrote:
 > HI People.
 >
 > I am try to add a new repository for one particular piece of software
 > and am having trouble. the full URL is...
 >
 > http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/a/amsn/
 >
 > If I can't add this as a repository then I must ask a "DEB based Distro"
 > newbie question...
 >
 > Once I have downloaded a .deb file, how the heck do I install it.
 >
 > Rgds Ken

Use `dpkg -i this_is_your_package.deb'. For more info `man dpkg' will
learn you a lot of interesting stuff.

Adding the repository to /etc/apt/sources.list is ok, but if you add a
complete debian repository who's packages will take precedence over
ubuntu's (like debian unstable) you might break your system, so be
careful. Amsn won't do any harm, however.

Eric Feliksik