Academic Involvement in Ubuntu

Daniel Holbach dh at mailempfang.de
Mon Nov 29 10:28:10 UTC 2004

Hello dear Ubuntu developers,

Am Donnerstag, den 25.11.2004, 12:44 +0100 schrieb Daniel Holbach:
> So, are there any ideas, what students could do in a 3 or 6 months
> project?

I didn't expect this to be the mega-thread, but I'm a bit disappointed
about the lack of ideas.

You're the ones knowing best, what needs to be done. I'd like to ask you
to look at the bottom of your TODO lists and propose whatever it is. I'm
sure there'll be loads of cool ideas, like adding XY-support for project
Z, an automated solution for generating bla thingies or a yet-utopic
application doing this or that. Don't let these ideas waste away in your
home directories. I'm sure you all could need additional "hands on
deck".

Another idea: why not create  wiki/IdeaPool  where you could
1) easily list links and ideas like "please have a look at
bugs.debian.org/{apt,dpkg,aptitude,synaptic} priority wishlist",
2) give additional hints on how to solve the issue.

People just using Ubuntu don't know, where to start helping out, they
can just complain about things existing in front of them. Let users and
students in the Ubuntu community be the innovators that make the change.

I didn't want to be rude, I just wanted to seize the chance.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel