Missing /dev/dsp devices in the udev files system.

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Mon Nov 29 00:16:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 01:03:56AM +0100, laust. ladefoged wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:34:09 -0800, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at canonical.com> wrote:
> > Ubuntu has used udev by default from a very early stage (before any public
> > release).  The device naming has not changed either.
> >
> > Are you really using the btaudio module?  This is an obsolete OSS module,
> > and you should be using snd-bt87x instead.
>
> No, I am using the snd-bt87x - it was a mistake in my initial mail.
> Though the btaudio module is also loaded.

The btaudio module is blacklisted in hotplug
(/etc/hotplug/blacklist.d/alsa-base) because it should NOT be loaded when
ALSA is in use (as with other OSS modules).

> I do not remember which packages was upgraded - but a lot.
>
> I have since on an identical machine done a barebone install of Warty
> prerelease, dist-upgraded to Warty with the same result as described
> earlier. The new thing is that I did dist-upgrade to Hoary and now i
> have got my /dev/dsp1 and /dev/dsp2 devices back.

OK, case closed.  Perhaps you had a buggy discover1 package installed; that
had caused OSS modules to be loaded in the past when they should not have
been.

--
 - mdz