SAMBA

Russell Cook ruscook_oz at yahoo.com.au
Sun Nov 28 21:17:17 UTC 2004

I have the following in my fstab file and the samba mount automounts on
boot no problem.
        //dalek/root    /mnt/dalek      smbfs
credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,dmask=777,fmask=777   0       0
        //iq/root        /mnt/iq      smbfs
credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,dmask=777,fmask=777   0       0

When I connect to a windows machine I can copy files no problem. The
difficulty I'm having is when I connect to the Linux machine I keep
getting permission erors and particularly "chown: errors from Midnight
Commander.

My smb.conf contains to  the following:

[root]
        path = /
        browseable = yes
        writable = yes
        valid users = root ruscook

I'm behind a firewall so don't mind sharing from the root directory.

Any suggestions for a samba setup that gets rid of this problem?

Thanks
Russ