'updatedb' : is it really mandatory, can I switch it off and how ?!

Vram lamsokvr at xprt.net
Sun Nov 28 07:25:48 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 04:27 +0100, Trouilliez Vincent wrote:

<snip>

>  So I think once I have made my PC silent (laptop drive + silent power
> supply), I will be able to let it run 24 hours a day (currently the
> noise keeps me from sleeping so must switch it off !), and simply tell
> cron to run updatedb at night, when I am not using it.

CPU fans  <amd>

CNPS7000B-ALCU Zalman Quiet CPU Cooler

Zalman revolutionized the quiet CPU cooling market with the 7000 series
coolers. The 7000B has slightly improved upon the 7000A heatsink not
only in performance, but in an 18g weight reduction. The 7000B comes
with the easy-to-use Fan Mate 2, and includes a high strength fiberglass
reinforced plastic Backplate for use with AMD Sempron/AMD64
motherboards.

The 7000 series coolers are indeed without a doubt an awesome and
innovative design. This CNPS7000B-CU is absolutely superior cooler,
cooling the most number of CPUs at a mere 20dB. The CNPS7000B-CU works
with Pentium 4 (Socket 478) CPUs up to the 103 watt Intel Prescott 3.2
Ghz, with AMD Opteron and Athlon 64 CPUs (Socket 754, 939, and 940), and
with AMD Athlon/Duron (Socket 462/Socket A). For Socket 775 up to the
103 watt Intel Prescott 3.2 Ghz, please add the ZM-CS1 Socket 775
Installation Clip to the CNPS7000-CU.

TOP PICK 19dB Nexus AXP-3200 Quiet AMD CPU Fan to 3400+

Drives

   Quiet Hard Drives : 120 Gig ATA Samsung Spinpoint Quiet Hard Drive

                                In Stock
                                          Add To Cart
                               Quantity:
                                         Price: $94.95

Quiet Hard Drives - Samsung Spinpoint 120 Gig ATA Quiet Hard Drive
SP1213N (8MB cache)

                       Spinpoint Quiet Hard Drive
Spinpoint Quiet Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint Drives are the new standard in quiet. We've listened
to these drives and they are as quiet as the now unavailable single
platter Barracuda ATA V drives. The Spinpoint integrates fluid dynamic
bearing motor technology, Noise Guard™, and SilentSeek™ to produce a
truly silent product. In idle the drive is practically inaudible. Using
SilentSeek you will hear only a slight, pleasant whir (which you will
only hear with your ear right up to the drive). The manufacturer's
decibel rating is 2.7 Bel in idle and 2.8 Bel during random read/write.
Samsung's new product also focuses on reliability and performance. These
Spinpoint hard drives come with three year manufacturer's warranties,
include SMART Hard Drive Technology, and they outperform the previous
quiet standard, the Seagate Barracuda ATA V (when set to quiet seek).

power supply

- NEW- 16.2 dB NX-4090 Nexus 400 Watt Quiet Power Supply

Nexus has done it again with this truly silent 400 watt quiet power
supply with 12 cm fan.This is the most amazingly quiet power supply
we've ever tested or sold! Not only is it impossible to hear, but with a
bottom-mounted 120mm fan (power supply is shown upside down in picture
to show you the fan) with wire grill, and a tranparent back full grid,
it moves more air through your case than any truly quiet power supply on
the market! Because of its incredible airflow and high wattage, this
quiet power supply is well-suited for today's 3 Ghz and above quiet pcs.

The NX-4090 quiet power supply designed by NexusTek is the latest in
innovation and efficiency. The NX-4090 uses a 120mm quiet fan to move a
greater amount of air at a lower noise level. The wire grill, large
quiet fan, heavy duty heatsink, and quiet circuitry all add up to
optimum airflow, minimum noise. The NX-4090 quiet power supply provides
the user with 400 watts of power for today's power hungry machines, but
a silent 16.2 dB(a) of noise in idle mode. The fan, located on the
bottom of these quiet power supplies, blows up, rather than out,
substantially reducing power supply noise when mounted in your PC.

Check out

www.endpcnoise.com

That is the place to get components..

Good Luck