Root Access

Ken Adams ken at familyadams.com
Sat Nov 27 21:09:27 UTC 2004

Hi everyone

Got a problem!!!!

I have just installed the latest Ubuntu from the i386 iso on a spare P11/350
machine. The install went exceedingly well and so far all is looking very
good.

One problem though.

>From the Gnome menu, once I have logged in as a user, I want to do a few
bits like use Synaptic and Network-admin. When I click on the menu for them
I then get the Root Password prompt and enter it OK, BUT.I get the following
error message come up.

Failed to run network admin as user root:

Child terminated with 1 status

I can't even bring up a Root Terminal, getting a similar error message.

I CAN go to a standard text console using <CTRL><ALT><F1> and log-in as
root.

What am I missing??

Rgds

Ken Adams