Dropping support for Mozilla suite?

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 15:26:45 UTC 2004

My 2 cents worth...

It'd be foolish to drop support for Mozilla altogether. Certainly,
take if off the CD since it's a large package and not vital, but keep
it in the official repository and ensure it's offically supported.

For some (many) corporate users Mozilla will be a better solution than
FireFox since they're possibly used to Netscape for e-mail + web,
whilst FireFox + Evolution/ThunderBird will require supporting two
separate applications and two separate interfaces (I say this
begrudgingly b/c I *hate* Netscrape/Mozilla's e-mail component but
there are people who like it & use it & are used to it... I blame
Netscape for the popularisation of HTML in e-mail, the single greatest
blight on the planet (well, ok, so there are even more annoying things
but HTML mail does rank up there with spam).

FireFox is an admirable web browser, but Mozilla is analogous to
Netscape, a browser with which a lot of users are familiar through the
ages on Mac and Windows. This gives users the opportunity to jump from
Mac/Windows and know what's going on if they're Netscape users.

The other advantage to keeping Mozilla is that it's also the
technology show-case for the Mozilla project. Major developments will
first enter into the Mozilla project and then filter down to the other
projects (FireFox, Netscape, Camino, Enlightenment).

Eric.