Thinkpad Fn Key buttons package - "tpb" - Errors during install

thepoch ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Nov 26 17:41:15 UTC 2004

My reply is definitely very late. But I hope you still see this if you
haven't solved this yet. Anyway...

The first thing to do is to edit /etc/modules
Add the text "nvram" there so that the nvram module gets loaded on
startup.

Next is to edit /etc/udev/permissions.d/udev.permissions
Look for two lines that contain the word "nvram". I'm assuming you know
how to grep using whatever text editor you prefer. By default the two
lines are:

misc/nvram:root:root:660
nvram:root:root:660

Change them to:

misc/nvram:root:root:666
nvram:root:root:666

This will allow everyone to 'use' /dev/nvram now.

Now to test it. Go to a terminal and type "sudo modprobe nvram". Then
type "ls -l /dev/nvram". The left most should say "crw-rw-rw-". Now
type "tpb -d". Try out if you now have on screen display when changing
your volume, etc.

I hope this helps.

--
thepoch