apt-get errors

Romeo Theriault romeotheriault at fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 26 06:08:40 UTC 2004

Hi all, I'm installing some software and getting some errors from
apt-get. Here is what I typed and the errors I got:

$ sudo apt-get upgrade
 Reading Package Lists... Done
 Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
faac: Depends: mpeg4ip-libs but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

 $ sudo apt-get -f install
 Reading Package Lists... Done
 Building Dependency Tree... Done
 Correcting dependencies... Done
   mpeg4ip-libs
     mpeg4ip-libs
     0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
     1 not fully installed or removed.
     Need to get 0B/452kB of archives.
     After unpacking 1585kB of additional disk space will be used.
     Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y

     Preconfiguring packages ...
     (Reading database ... 85789 files and directories currently
installed.)
     Unpacking mpeg4ip-libs (from .../mpeg4ip-libs_2%
3a1.1-1_i386.deb) ...
     dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/mpeg4ip-libs_2%
3a1.1-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
      trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libmp4v2.so.0.0.0', which is also in
package libmp4-0
      dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
       /var/cache/apt/archives/mpeg4ip-libs_2%3a1.1-1_i386.deb

I tried deleting libmp4v2.so.0.0.0 and running it again and got the same
error even though the file wasn't there.

The only thing that I feel is worth mentioning that might be interfering
with this that I have the nvidia drivers installed. Apt-get now won't
let me do anything till I get this dependency resolved. Anyone have any
hints on how to get around this.

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you.