Please test new graphics drivers

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at canonical.com
Thu Nov 25 19:59:29 UTC 2004

Hi all,
I'm currently working on both X.Org packages, and the
linux-restricted-modules package, which contains the nVidia and ATI
binary drivers.

The X.Org packages contain huge updates to the ATI and nVidia update.  A
lot of work has been done on the ATI driver to eliminate segfaults and
should validly detect pretty much every setup -- no matter what you plug
in, as long as the resolution will work on that display, it should just
work.  The nVidia driver has a couple of slight speed improvements, and
support for new cards.

To test these, please grab:
http://people.ubuntu.com/~daniels/xorg/ARCH-DRIVER_drv.o
where ARCH is one of i386, amd64, or powerpc, and DRIVER is one of
radeon or nv (e.g. i386-radeon_drv.o).

To install them, move the old driver out of the way:
sudo mv /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/DRIVER_drv.o{,.pre-u4}
and the new one in:
sudo mv ARCH-DRIVER_drv.o /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/DRIVER_drv.o

Please send me success/failure reports in private mail; failure reports
accompanied by /var/log/Xorg.0.log, /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and the output
of 'lspci'.  As a first port of call, try deleting the HorizSync and
VertRefresh lines from xorg.conf and restarting gdm.

The second round of testing goodies is linux-restricted-modules,
containing 1.0.6629 (plus patches) of the nVidia driver, plus the newest
version of the ATI fglrx driver; this is a far more straightforward
update.  To get these, add:
deb http://people.ubuntu.com/~daniels/ l-r-m/$(ARCH)/
to your /etc/apt/sources.list, and run sudo apt-get update && sudo
apt-get dist-upgrade.  Unfortunately, I do not have any nVidia or ATI
hardware with me, so these are untested; success/failure reports doubly
appreciated at this stage.  nvidia-glx-config should now also properly
patch xorg.conf, as well as XF86Config-4.

While I'd love wide testing, please be aware that the reason I haven't
uploaded these is because they may well be rough to the point of broken.
If you're not familiar with your system and able to cope with and repair
breakages, I recommend you stick to the existing packages.  But if you
want cool new shiny stuff, give these a spin. :)

Cheers,
Daniel