sound probs on an i-386 box

pol mulata at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 07:04:06 UTC 2004

the previous dialogue:

"* mulata <mulata at gmail.com> [2004-11-13 13:45]:

|> i tried the sudo commands for turning on the sound card witht the root
|> terminal and these are the responses i got:
|>
|> root at mulata:/home/mulata # sudo modprobe cs-4231
|> FATAL: Module cs_4231 not found.
|> root at mulata:/home/mulata # sudo modprobe snd-cs4232
|> FATAL: Error inserting snd_cs4232
|> (/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-3-386/kernel/sound/isa/cs423x/snd-cs4232.ko): No
|> such device
|> root at mulata:/home/mulata # sudo modprobe snd-4236
|> FATAL: Module snd_4236 not found.
|>
|> fatal fatal fatal! darn! how will i ever become a famous sound artist
now?

|> any ideas on what to do next? i have also tried reinstalling ubuntu and
|> obviously that did no good, either...

Hello. This may or may not be of some help:

I have a IBM Thinkpad 380XD with a CS4237 soundcard. I've never managed
to get this to work with the ALSA drivers, despite much effort (mainly
under Slackware -- I've only been a Ubuntu user for a week).

However, I can use it with the OSS drivers by using:
modprobe sound dmabuf=1
modprobe cs4232 irq=5 io=0x530 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9
modprobe opl3 io=0x388

I'm afraid I can't remember how I found out all the right i/o settings,
but this might at least provide a starting point.

All normal sound programs seem to work. I don't know what I'm missing by
not using ALSA.

HTH

Harry."

so i tried harry's suggestion and you'll notice from terminal's output
response for linbe two (below) that it still isn't working. should i try
to get the OSS drivers and install them? i looked in universe/synaptic,
but tere's nothing. a google search seems to suggest that they are
commercial releases only?

i am installing alsa-oss and python 2.3-oss from synaptic in the hopes
that maybe that will help.

then i'll try audiooss from syn to see if that will work. it seems to
intercept oss calls to another system of drivers...

the terminal output:

root at ubuntu:/home/mulata # modprobe sound dmabuf=1
root at ubuntu:/home/mulata # modprobe cs4232 irq=5 io=0x530 dma=1 dma2=0
mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9
FATAL: Error inserting cs4232
(/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-3-386/kernel/sound/oss/cs4232.ko): No such device
root at ubuntu:/home/mulata # modprobe opl3 io=0x388

thanks,
mulata