"Spatial" mode?

Romeyn Prescott prescor at digirom.potsdam.edu
Tue Nov 23 21:38:21 UTC 2004

I keep seeing people talking about Nautilus'/Gnome's "new" Spatial Mode.

Am I missing something, or is this what the Mac OS did from 1984
until OS X was introduced?  Frankly it's something I missed
immediately when OS X came out.  A lot of people complain about the
window clutter, but if you didn't want the parent window to remain
you just held down the option key as you opened it and the parent
vanished.

Or is spatial mode something more and I'm missing it/not finding it
as I Google?  It might be new to Linux, but it's certainly nothing
"new"!

Curious,
...ROMeyn
--