apt-pinning ?

Lloyd D Budd foolswisdom at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 21:17:19 UTC 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:38:38 -0500, Brian Barr <barr at coastal.ufl.edu> wrote:

> I thought that was what apt-pinning was for?  Or is this not possible/desirable with Ubuntu? (...and if not, why?)
>
> Link on howto apt-pin:
> http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

Hmm... I have tried apt-pinning specifically to make getting and
updating eric(3) (Python IDE) easier .  I do not think I have
installed many (any other than the limited depends for eric) other
hoary packages , but now :

lloyd at laf:~ $ sudo apt-get upgrade
Password:
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  apache2-common apache2-mpm-prefork cupsys gaim libapr0 libcupsys2-gnutls10
  libmagick6 libx11-6 x-window-system-core xbase-clients xfree86-common
  xlibmesa-gl xserver-common xserver-xfree86 xterm xutils
  bogofilter cupsys-bsd cupsys-client gettext gettext-base groff-base
  gs-common libc6 libc6-dev libc6-i686 libcupsimage2 libdps1 libgd1-noxpm
  libgd2-noxpm libice6 libperl5.8 libpng10-0 libpq3 libsm6 libsmbclient
  libssl0.9.7 libxaw7 libxext6 libxi6 libxml2 libxml2-python2.3 libxmu6
  libxmuu1 libxp6 libxpm4 libxrandr2 libxt6 libxtrap6 libxtst6 libxv1
  linux-image-2.6.8.1-3-k7 locales login lvm10 openssl passwd perl perl-base
  perl-modules ppp python2.3-samba samba-common smbclient sudo xfonts-100dpi
  xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base xfonts-scalable xlibmesa-dri xlibmesa-glu xlibs
  xlibs-data xpdf xpdf-common xpdf-reader xpdf-utils zip
62 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 16 not upgraded.
Need to get 84.9MB of archives.
After unpacking 6615kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
lloyd at laf:~ $ apt-cache policy bogofilter
bogofilter:
  Installed: 0.92.0-1ubuntu0.1
  Candidate: 0.93.1-1
  Version Table:
     0.93.1-1 0
        600 http://archive.ubuntu.com hoary/main Packages
 *** 0.92.0-1ubuntu0.1 0
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com warty-security/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     0.92.0-1 0
        700 http://archive.ubuntu.com warty/main Packages

How do I easily keep *warty* updated now ?

--
Peace be in you ,
Lloyd D Budd